哦 天啊
Oh, God.
听我说 抱歉 我 我是不是欺负人了
Look, sorry. I… Am I being a bully?
没有 当然没有
Of course, you’re not.
你知道吗
You know what,
我可以让服务员拿暖菜盘来
I could get them to bring back that plate warmer thingy.
这样我们想在外边待多久就待多久
And we could go out for as long as you like.
不 是我犯傻了
No, I’m just being silly.
说实话 爱德华 我不想再让他们回来了
Honestly, Edward, I don’t think I could bear to have them back in here.
一分钟都花不上 一点都不麻烦
It won’t take a minute. It’s no trouble at all…
爱德华 求你了 不用
Edward, please, no!
天啊
God…
我们正在吵第一次架
We’re having our first row.
弗洛伦丝 我们没在吵 – 在吵 因为我太自私了
Florence, we’re not. – We are. Because I’m being selfish.
老实说 我们没在吵 你不自私
Honestly, we’re not. You’re not being selfish.
就是在吵架 就是
We are, we are.
都怪我愚蠢的错误
And it’s all my stupid fault.
在你去的奥尔德马斯顿村 大家都在谈论什么啊
And what are they saying, your Aldermaston lot,
关于上个月在柏林建成的那堵墙吗(指柏林墙)
about this wonderful wall in Berlin last month?
对于墙左边的西德来说有点尴尬 不是吗
Bit awkward for the lefties, isn’t it?
我们讨厌那墙 每个人都讨厌
We hate it. Everyone hates it.
在苏联的庇护下 一整个国家变成了战俘营
An entire country turned into a prison camp, with the Soviet’s blessing.
社♥会♥主♥义♥的光辉岁月
A proud day for socialism.
你在学校怎么样? – 一百万俄♥国♥♥军♥队
How was school? – A million Russian troops
沿两德边境驻扎 – 还不错
spread along the border. – All right.
你认为怎么才能阻止他们
What do you think prevents them
把坦克开进德国平原北部
from sending their tanks across the north German plain?
我认为该用 常规做法
Common sense, I should think.
常规做法 无稽之谈 苏联是核武器国家 我们不想让它用核武器
Common sense? Nonsense! It’s the bomb, the one you want to ban.
共♥产♥主义 正如它自豪地宣称的那样 是一种扩张主义信条
Communism, as it proudly proclaims, is an expansionist creed.
只有我们的核弹才能威慑住他们 问题就这么简单 亲爱的
It’s our nuclear bombs that deter them. It’s as simple as that, my dear.
我们需要核威慑
We need a deterrent.
你们记不记得几个月前我说我在核裁军运动组织会议上遇见了一个小伙子?
Do you remember a couple of months ago I said I met this chap at a CND meeting?
我邀请他明天来喝茶
I’ve asked him round tomorrow for tea.
小伙子 – 他会穿奇装异服吗?
Chap? – Is he a beatnik?
不♥穿♥
No.
留胡子 穿凉鞋吗 – 不
Beard and sandals? – No.
垮掉的一代是第二次世界大战之后出现于美国的
一群松散结合在一起的年轻诗人和作家的集♥合♥体 他们性格粗犷豪放、落拓不羁、生活简单
他是做什么的 – 他是“垮掉的一代”
What does he do? – He’s a beatnik.
别说了 他和我一样 刚刚拿到文凭
Shut up. He’s like me, just finished his degree.
哪所大学 – 伦敦大学学院
What college? – UCL.
但是亲爱的 那是伦敦
But darling, that’s London.
给商人的儿子上的学校 弗洛伦丝
For the sons of tradesmen. Florence!
他们培养了一些相当不错的工程师
They produce some pretty decent engineers.
是啊 的确
Well, exactly.
他父亲是做什么的?
What does his father do?
你的意思是 他是工人阶级还是和我们一样
You mean, is he working class or one of us?
对 我想我或多或少是这个意思
Yes. I think that’s more or less what I mean.
他爸爸是亨利镇一所小学的校长
His dad’s headmaster of a primary school in Henley.
你的小伙子将来想要做什么呢
And what does your young man intend doing with himself?
我还没有问过他的规划
I haven’t researched his prospects.
我还没有弄明白他确切的社会经济地位
I haven’t worked out his precise socioeconomic status.
我还没打算嫁给他 我只是邀请他来喝茶 喝茶
I haven’t arranged to marry him. I’ve asked him for tea. For tea.
非常好
Jolly good.
递给我那盘新做的绿色的… 我们管它叫什么
Pass the new green… What are we calling them?
糖荚豌豆(一种荚和豆都可食用的豌豆)
Mangetout.
那天我买♥♥了我的第一张火车票
I would say it was the day I bought my first railway ticket.
我13岁那年
I must have been 13.
我排队买♥♥票的时候心砰砰地跳
When I joined the queue my heart was thumping.
那天的前一晚 我在卧室练习我的台词
I’d rehearsed my lines in the bedroom, the night before,
说的像像莎士比亚戏剧里的对白一样
like a big speech in a Shakespeare play.
等轮到我的时候 我用微小而又颤抖的声音说
And then it was my turn and I said in a tiny shaking voice,
有半张去伦敦的单程票吗
“May I please have a half single to London?”
却没出错
Not a single mistake!
然后我手里拿着票向栅栏走去
Then I was walking towards the barrier with the ticket in my hand
然后我想 就是这样
and I thought, “This is it.
我成功了 我步入了这个世界 我长大了
“I’ve done it, I’ve joined the big world, I’m a grown-up!”
至于我嘛
Well, mine…
是当我知道我妈妈到底出了什么事的时候
It was the time when I learned what really happened to my mum.
现在霍尔曼·亨特的画借到纽约供人观赏了
So now we have Holman Hunt on loan to New York,
伯恩·琼斯的画借到爱丁堡了
Burne Jones on loan to Edinburgh,
所以我决定不按照要求去拿提香或者鲁本斯的画
so I decided not to move the Titians or Rubens, as requested.
而是从店里拿了两幅很棒的尤瑟洛的画
But to bring up from store two glorious Uccellos…
我不认识尤瑟洛 -哦 亲爱的 很棒的
I don’t know Uccello. – Oh, darling! Glorious.
十五世纪透视画法的先驱
Uh, a fifteenth-century pioneer of perspective,
实际上是个数学家 -你最好靠后站点儿
a mathematician in fact… – Better stand back a bit.
擅长画动物
And wonderful at animals.
鸟类 风景 自然色调的树木
Birds. Landscape. Trees in their natural color.
莱昂内尔 你会特别喜欢他的
You, Lionel, you especially would love it…
她就一直那副样子 我长大了
I’d grown up with the way she was.
已经习惯了她那样了
Taken her for granted.
我们家的人都是那么觉得的
We all did.
但是当他说出那个可怕的词
But when he used this horrible phrase,
一切都变了
everything changed.
脑损伤
Brain-damaged.
突然我就站在外人的角度看她了
Suddenly I saw her the way other people did.
这真是太糟糕了
That must have been awful.
你一直对她很好
You’re always very kind to her.
我妈妈只是假装脑损伤
My mother just pretends to be brain-damaged.
可笑的是 那好像是一种解脱
Funny thing, it was a sort of release.
我感觉
I felt this…
我周围的空间打开了
This space opening up around me.
她的脑损伤了 但是我的没有
She was brain-damaged, and I wasn’t.
我和她不一样
I wasn’t her,
我也不能和我的家人划上等号♥ 我就是我
I wasn’t my family, I was me.
我觉得很兴奋 仿佛我的生命才刚刚开始
I felt kind of excited, like my life had just begun.
艾德 又有你的邮件了 看起来像是你期待的那个啊
Ed! Second post. Looks like the one!
重要时刻 是吧
Big moment, eh?
哦 特瑞 我觉得我要…
Uh, Terry, I think I’ll…
明天告诉我吧 祝你好运
Tell me tomorrow. And good luck.
难以置信
I don’t believe it.
妈妈
Mum.
妈妈 听着
Mum, listen.
你在听吗
Are you listening?
这不是她现在的样子 这是未来的样子
This isn’t how she looks now. This is the future.
新事物 一部特殊的相机会告诉你她以后会是什么样
A new thing. A special camera that tells you how she’ll look one day.
这很重要
This is important.
先把这放下来一会儿吧
Put that down for a moment.
听我说
Listen to me.
我得到了一等学位 妈妈
I got a first, Mum.
一等学位
A first class degree.
对的 儿子 我看见了 我正在看
That’s right, son. I saw you. I was watching.
现在告诉我 像这样的黄色 有两种含义
Now you tell me. Yellow, like this has two things.
意思和数字
A meaning and a number.
现在我知道数字
Now I know the number…
7 妈妈
Seven, Mum.
Seven.
我不记得意思了
I can’t remember the meaning.
安妮?- 我在楼上呢
Anne? – Up here.
哈丽特? – 怎么了
Harriet? – What?
安妮 哈丽特 我得到了一等学位
Anne, Harriet, I got a first.
这学位好吗? – 这可是最好的
Is that good? – It’s the best.
那爸爸会高兴的
Dad’ll be happy then.
他什么时候回来 – 8点
When’s he back? – 8:00.
9点 – 9点
9:00. – 9:00.
你们俩该到户外去 外面风景很美
You two should be outside. It’s beautiful.
太热了 – 太无聊了
Too hot. – Too boring.
你好 托比在吗
Hello. Is Toby there?
你估计什么时候能见到他?
Uh, when are you expecting him?
哦
Oh.
达文波特夫人吗
Mrs. Davenport?
我是爱德华·梅休 亨利的大学同学