看美剧学英语:Do the trick
Do the trick: Achieve the required result, if something does the trick, it has the necessary or wanted effect. (达到目的、凑效、取得成功)
E.G.1:This sauce needs more flavour – I know, some lemon juice should do the trick.
E.G.2:You got some tomato juice on your shirt, just put a little club soda on it, get to it right away, it should do the trick.
Do the trick 情景对话举例:{ 节选自美剧《纸牌屋》S01E09 Time-stamp:25:49 }
Frank:I just can’t go to Remy right now. 我现在真的不能去求雷米
He’s poaching too many of my people. 他已经拉拢了太多我的人
I’ve got two congressmen who will not commit. 还有两位国会议员,仍然举棋不定
I was hoping you might speak to them. 我本来还指望你能跟他们谈谈
Claire:Who? 都是谁
Frank:Vanderburgh and Abrams. 范德博格和艾布拉姆斯
Claire:What is it that you want me to say to them? 你想让我跟他们说什么
Frank:They’re big on the environment. 他们很重视环保
They don’t think the bill goes far enough. 他们觉得那项法案没多大用处
They respect your opinion. 他们尊重你的意见
I wanted you to walk them through the bill step-by-step. 我希望你能逐条讲解一下法案
Put them at ease. I need to get them in the yes column. 让他们放心 我得说服他们投赞成票
I meet with them tomorrow. I’ll deliver the bruises. 明天我先跟他们碰面 敲打敲打他们
You meet with them later and patch them up. 之后你再去安抚一下
That might just do the trick. 软硬兼施估计能凑效